Weed abatement requirements will be enforced during the Fire Season as declared by the State Fire Marshal - Late season rains have delayed the start to the season. Compliance dates will be posted upon declaration of the season and we encourage our residents to check back here for updates.
Tubbs and Nuns Fire Rebuild Areas: Please note that parcels that have yet to rebuild will be considered vacant/undeveloped land and will be required to comply with the weed abatement ordinance. This will help to ensure the safety of our community as we approach fire season and reduce the risk associated with drying seasonal grasses in the rebuild areas.
Weed Abatement Season
The City of Santa Rosa Fire Department would like to thank you for your continued support and commitment to fire prevention. Your diligence in maintaining your property for your own personal safety and and our community is appreciated.
Please note that weed abatement and vegetation management are not one in the same. For information on Vegetation Managment, click on our Wildland Urban Interface link.
- All undeveloped parcels (vacant lots)
- All developed parcels over .5 acres having over .5 acres of unimproved land
- All parcels located within the Wildland Urban Interface Fire Areas (see map)
Your parcel may be identified as a parcel that requires abatement/removal of weeds/rubbish at which time a notice will be sent. This does not mean that your property has an identified issue. The first notice is a reminder that fire season has begun. Your property will be inspected in a minimum of two weeks and may be inspected throughout the fire season.
Due to laws prohibiting illegal searches, the Inspectors will not look over fences, climb fences, enter a backyard or enter a residence to confirm weed complaints. All weed violations must be visible from the street and must be in the City of Santa Rosa's jurisdiction.
Complaints must be filed in one of the following written formats
*The information provided is confidential*
1- Fax to 707-543-3520: Please use Complaint Form -Weed Abatement Complaint Form.pdf
3- Mail to:
Please use Complaint Form (Weed Abatement Complaint Form.pdf) and send to:
City of Santa Rosa Weed Abatement Program
2373 Circadian Way
Santa Rosa, CA 95407
Inclusion of photos are helpful
The Weed Abatement staff responds to each complaint; however, they may not follow up with you unless they have questions. Please submit all complaints in writing.
- Where does Weed Abatement apply?
- What is Weed Abatement?
- Does the Fire Department spray for weeds or perform the removal of weeds/rubbish?
- What do I do if I receive a notice?
- What does it mean if I have received a "violation notice"?
- Can I dispute a violation or an invoice?
- What if I do nothing?
- Will I be charged for that?
- What if I am the new owner, and the previous notices were not received by me?
- What if the parcel is owned by a group/corporation, and I was not receiving my mail at my mailing address?