Process to Apply through CA SB 35
Step 1: CONFIRM THE PROJECT IS ELIGIBLE
Projects must meet all the criteria on the SB 35 Eligibility Checklist to qualify for streamlined and ministerial review.
Step 2: DEVELOPMENT REVIEW PRE-APPLICATION MEETING.
Once you have confirmed the project is eligible for SB 35 streamlining, submit an application for a Development Review Pre-Application Meeting. The purpose of this Meeting is to offer applicants an interdepartmental staff review of preliminary or conceptual design applications. These meetings are intended to troubleshoot project issues for potentially complex development proposals.
Step 3: SUBMIT NOTICE OF INTENT (PRELIMINARY APPLICATION).
Before submitting an application for SB 35 approval, an applicant must submit a Notice of Intent in the form of a Preliminary Application to the City.
Step 4: TIMELINES FOR TRIBAL SCOPING CONSULTATION
Upon receipt of the Notice of Intent, the City will engage with local Native American Tribes (Tribes) and provide an opportunity for consultation.
- Notice. Within 30 days, the City will provide formal notice to the Tribes
- Acceptance. The Tribes have 30 days to accept the request for consultation.
- Consultation. The City initiates consultation within 30 days of acceptance by the Tribes.
Step 5: SUBMIT A COMPLETE SB 35 APPLICATION PACKET
Once the Tribal Scoping Consultation has concluded, you may submit the SB 35 Application Packet with each of the required forms, information, and plans required for City staff to review your project. Each of the listed items is required for a complete application.
Step 6: TIMELINES FOR STREAMLINED & MINISTERIAL REVIEW
- Eligibility Review.The City will issue a determination of eligibility in accordance with the following timelines:
- Within 60 calendar days of submittal of the application if the development contains 150 or fewer housing units.
- Within 90 calendar days of submittal of the application if the development contains more than 150 housing units.
- Action on the Application. City staff must determine if the SB 35 application complies with each of the City’s Objective Standards in accordance with the following timelines:
- Within 90 calendar days of submittal of the application if the development contains 150 or fewer housing units.
- Within 180 calendar days of submittal of the application if the development contains more than 150 housing units.
Step 7: SUBMIT FOR BUILDING AND/OR ENGINEERING APPROVALS
Following a project approval, permits including Building Permits and Encroachment Permits are applied for and reviewed. A building permit must be issued prior to the three-year approval expiration date. A project may receive a one-time, one-year extension if significant progress is demonstrated.
- Senate Bill 35 Full Text
- Senate Bill Department of Housing and Community Development Guidelines
- Objective Design Standards Ordinance
- Senate Bill 35 FAQs
- Senate Bill 35 Eligibility Checklist
- Senate Bill 35 Notice of Intent
- Senate Bill 35 Application Packet
- Assembly Bill 2162 Full Text
- Existing Standards in the Zoning Code related to Lighting, Landscaping, other Development Standards