Freeway Well Feasibility Study
For almost 30 years, the City used the freeway well to provide approximately one million gallons of water per day to its customers. However, in the 1980’s City staff discovered during routine water quality testing that groundwater below the site had become contaminated with volatile organic compounds (VOCS) from chemicals and solvents used at nearby properties in the area. The Freeway Well has not been used since that time.
For many years, Santa Rosa Water has wanted to study groundwater resources below the Freeway Well and determine if it’s feasible to rehabilitate the well or replace it, but the City has not had the resources to do so. The State Water Resources Control Board expressed interest in aiding the City and has awarded a grant to help fund the Freeway Well.
The Feasibility Study for this project has been completed and a draft report is being prepared. The final report will be posted to this webpage after it has been approved by the State Water Resources Control Board (anticipated by Oct 2021).
Disclosure Statement: Funding for this project has been provided in full or part through an agreement with the State Water Resources Control Board using funds from Proposition 1. The contents of this document do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the foregoing, nor does mention of trade names or commercial products constitute endorsement or recommendation for use .
Remedial Investigation Report
- Remedial Investigation Report
- Appendix A - Site Interviews
- Appendix B - Aerial Photographs
- Appendix C - RWQCB Report on Freeway Well
- Appendix D - Freeway Well Completion Report Scan
- Appendix E - Remedial Investigation Workplan
- Appendix F - Monitoring Plan
- Appendix G - QAPP
- Appendix H - SR0016438_1304 Cleveland Ave
- Appendix I - Santa Rosa Sound Wall permit
- Appendix J - FW 1x Disch Permit - aquifer pump test
- Appendix K - Submittal 15 APPROVED Well Drilling Water Source
- Appendix L - Photographic Log
- Appendix M - Monitoring Wel Geophysical and Caliper Logs
- Appendix N - Santa Rosa City of Freeway Well DWR
- Appendix P - Analytical Reports
- Appendix Q - Hydrographs
- Appendix R - Step Test Adj
- Appendix S - Flow Velocity Loggin Data
- Appendix T - Constant Rate Adj
- Appendix U - Theis Analyses
- Appendix V - Theis Recovery Freeway
- Appendix W - Cooper Jacob Analyses
- Appendix X - West Coast Metals Monitoring Report
Stakeholder Advisory Group
Technical Advisory Committee
|Investigation||Records review of existing environmental records and landuse records with the Project area and site visits to gather data and selection of observation wells.||Completed|
|Survey||City survey team will visit participating well sites and survey to establish reference point elevations.||Completed|
|Installation of Transducers||Installation of data-logger equipped pressure transducers to record groundwater levels.||Completed|
|Pilot Boring and Monitoring Well Installation||Contractor to drill a pilot hole at the Freeway Well site to collect geophysical data and then construct three monitoring wells within the pilot boring at different depths.||Completed|
|Aquifer Testing||A step pump test and well velocity testing will be conducted in the Freeway Well and a constant rate pump test of 72-hour duration will be performed in the Freeway Well, with water level measurements collected from observation wells and the newly-constructed monitoring wells.||Completed|
|Groundwater Sampling and Analysis||A water quality sample will be collected from the Freeway Well and will be analyzed for the Title 22 parameters.
|Remedial Investigation Report||Report with summary of data, data analysis, field work, construction, and findings from remedial investigation activities (record review, water quality sampling, pilot boring, and aquifer testing).||Completed|
|Prepare Feasibility Study||Preparation and submittal of a final Technical Memorandum of the findings and conclusion regarding the Project feasibility.||Ocober 2021|