Welcome to the 2019 Public Safety Open Enrollment Page!
THIS YEAR'S OPEN ENROLLMENT FOR SAFETY EMPLOYEES IS SEPTEMBER 9, 2019 - OCTOBER 4, 2019
Announcing the 1st Annual Open Enrollment Event for Safety Employees!
We are offering our Public Safety employees a chance to speak and meet with medical and other benefit carriers during open enrollment on Tuesday, September 10th from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm at the Fire Training Tower.
This is your opportunity to talk with an actual medical carrier representative face-to-face. They can help answer questions and guide you in making changes to your medical coverage. We will have other benefit representatives available.
Check back for more information to come!
Open Enrollment starts September 9, 2019 and ends October 4, 2019
This is your once-a-year opportunity (outside of a qualifying event) to make medical, dental and vision plan changes. Changes made during Open Enrollment take effect January 1, 2020. During Open Enrollment, you can:
- Add eligible dependents to your health coverage.
- Change your CalPERS health plan.
- Delete dependents from your health coverage.
- Discontinue your existing CalPERS health coverage.
- Enroll in a CalPERS health plan, if you are not currently enrolled in CalPERS health coverage.
- For more detailed information about the health plans offered by CalPERS, please visit their website at www.calpers.ca.gov.
- Enroll in the City's Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and/or Dependent Care Assistance Plan (DCAP) for 2020.
- NOTE: These accounts do not automatically roll over from year-to-year. YOU MUST COMPLETE AND SUBMIT NEW ENROLLMENT FORMS FOR BOTH THE FSA & DCAP PLANS EACH YEAR.
- FSA MAXIMUM ANNUAL AMOUNT HAS INCREASED FROM $2,600 TO $2,700.
- DCAP MAXIMUM ANNUAL AMOUNT REMAINS AT $5,000.
- MINIMUM ANNUAL ENROLLMENT AMOUNT FOR EITHER FSA OR DCAP REMAINS AT $520.
- All changes and enrollments must be completed and received in Human Resources no later than October 4, 2019. For additional questions about open enrollment or your benefits, please contact Benefits by email or by telephone at 543-3060.
CalPERS has moved their coverage areas to three (3) regions. Review the plans and regions on CalPERS website HERE.
Prior to turning in your CalPERS Health Enrollment Form you must verify your current zip code qualifies under the plan you are selecting. Please visit CalPERS Health Plan Search by Zip Code to do so.
CalPERS requires that we capture Social Security numbers for all family members every time a Health Change Form is submitted. When completing your enrollment form, please make sure to include Social Security numbers.
DECLINING HEALTH COVERAGE
Safety employees wishing to waive health coverage because they have other coverage may do so at any time. Please provide proof of coverage and complete the following: (1) Waiver of Health Insurance Form, and (2) CalPERS Health Benefit Plan Enrollment Form declining coverage and return the completed forms to Human Resources at City Hall, Room 1 no later than October 4. 2019. Links to these forms can be found below:
Fire Waiver of Health Insurance Form - You may receive the current allotted amount for dependent care, if eligible. Please note that in order to received the allotted amount you MUST have a qualifying dependent and enroll in the Dependent Care Plan for 2020.
Police Waiver of Health Insurance Form - You may choose to receive an additional taxed $200 per month OR the current allotted amount for dependent care. Please note that in order to receive the allotted amount for dependent care, you MUST have a qualifying dependent and enroll in the Dependent Care Plan for 2020.
Although employees may apply for supplemental life insurance at any time, open enrollment is an excellent time to assess your current supplemental coverage levels. Please note that all units have a City paid basic life insurance policy. Amounts are are follows:
- Unit 2 (Fire)-$12,000
- Unit 5 (Police)-$10,000
- Unit 9 (Safety Management)-$30,000
If you would like to apply for additional supplemental life insurance, please complete the Evidence of Insurability (EOI) Form and send direct to VOYA (previously ING).
CalPERS 2019-20 Open Enrollment Newsletter
CalPERS A Guide to Choosing a Health Plan
CalPERS Health Plans and Rates
2020 Health Benefit Summary
2019 Health Benefit Summary
2020 Find a Medical Plan
CalPERS Health Program Guide
Understanding Your Health Plan Statement
FAQ's - CalPERS Open Enrollment and Benefit Changes
CalPERS Medicare Changes Information
Current PEMHCA Employer Contribution Amounts
CalPERS Health Change Form (complete sections 1-21)
Universal Benefits Enrollment Form (to change dental/vision only)
Police Health Insurance Waiver
Fire Health Insurance Waiver
Supplemental Life Insurance Evidence of Insurability Application