Alcohol License

What You Need To Do

If your business will be selling alcoholic beverages, then you will need an Alcoholic Beverage License.


Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC)
Santa Rosa District Office
50 D Street, Room 130
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
Phone: 707-576-2165
Beer Taps

Estimated Cost

Varies depending upon license type. Two typical varieties for restaurants are "On-Sale Beer and Wine Eating Place" (original fee is $300) and "On-Sale General Eating Place" (original fee is $12,000). (As of December 2010 - for current information see Fee Schedule on the ABC licensing page.)


Apply for the license in person and allow a minimum of 45 to 50 days to process the application. The law precludes issuance in less than 30 days. The license can average about 75 days for a Person-to-Person transfer, and 90 days for an Original. Circumstances often result in a longer waiting period; therefore, before final approval and issuance of a license, caution should be used regarding extensive financial commitments, plans for grand openings, etc.

Note: If new construction or considerable remodeling is necessary, prior approval under Section 24044 should be sought before beginning any actual work. Only a limited number of permits may be available for a given county.