Santa Rosa Community Empowerment Plan
Community Empowerment Plan Background
The Santa Rosa Community Empowerment Plan is a starting point for change in recognition that the City of Santa Rosa needs to reorient efforts and change policies in a collaborative manner with the community, and particularly with our communities of color. The Plan is a result of the outcry, protests, and demands stemming from the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25, 2020. The focus of the Plan is to engage and work in partnership with the public in a way that all community members feel they have a voice and are empowered to seek and implement a better more inclusive system. An overview of this initial plan, intent and timeline will be reviewed so that it may be modified as needed based on public input. With a repetitive loop of input, action, and analysis, it is intended that the Community Empowerment Plan be iterative and ongoing, evolving based on feedback and need.
The Community Empowerment Plan is rooted in the principles of community engagement developed originally, through extensive research, by Community Engagement staff, supporting the recommendations set forth by the 2014 Mayor’s Open Government Task Force and the international Spectrum of Public Participation model.
- Goals of the Community Empowerment Plan
- Spectrum of Community Engagement
- Principles of Community Engagement
Listening Sessions Summaries
En Español abajo
Community Engagement staff have been busy coordinating and attending meetings in alignment with Goal One objectives of the Community Empowerment Plan. The intended outcome of these meetings is to understand the concerns and priorities of Santa Rosa and Sonoma County Black, Indigenous, and Latinx community members, to improve and strengthen the City’s relationships with these community groups, and to find actions that will positively affect the quality of life of our underrepresented residents. Summaries of these listening sessions are listed below.
- July 2, 2020 - Social Justice Rally and March
- July 8, 2020 - NAACP Chapter Meeting
- July 16, 2020 - Youth Listening Session #1
- July 17, 2020 - 100 Black Men of Sonoma County
- July 23, 2020 - Youth Listening Session #2
- August 6, 2020 - NAACP Follow-Up Session
- August 6, 2020 - Sonoma County Lowrider Council
- August 10, 2020 - Community Conversation on Race
- August 27, 2020 - United Black Voices of Sonoma County
- August 28, 2020 - 100 Black Men Follow-Up
- September 25, 2020 - LandPath Volunteers Listening Session
- October 12, 2020 - Roseland Community Building Initiative Listening Session
Resúmenes de sesiones de escucha
El personal de Participación Comunitaria ha estado ocupado coordinando y asistiendo a reuniones en alineación con los objetivos de la Meta Uno del Plan de Participación Comunitaria. El resultado esperado de estas reuniones es comprender las preocupaciones y prioridades de los miembros de la comunidad afroamericana, indígena y latina de los condados de Santa Rosa y Sonoma, para mejorar y fortalecer las relaciones de la Ciudad con estos grupos comunitarios y encontrar acciones que afecten positivamente la calidad de vida de nuestros residentes subrepresentados. Los resúmenes de estas sesiones de escucha se enumeran a continuación.
- Resumen de la sesión de escucha del 2 de julio de 2020 y la Marcha por la Justicia
- Resumen: 8 de julio del 2020, Reunión con a NAACP
- Resumen: 16 de Julio del 2020 – Sesiones De Escucha Para Jóvenes
- Resumen: 17 de Julio del 2020 – Sesión de escucha de 100 Black Men del Condado de Sonoma
- Resumen: Sesión De Escucha Para Jóvenes – 23 de Julio del 2020
- Resumen: 6 de Agosto del 2020 - Reunión de Seguimiento con la sessión de la NAACP
- Resumen: Sesión de Escucha del 6 de Agosto del 2020 con el Consejo Lowrider del Condado de Santa Rosa
- Resumen: 27 de Agosto del 2020 - Sesión de Escucha con United Black Voices of Sonoma County
- Resumen: 28 de Agosto del 2020 - Sesión De Seguimiento de 100 Black Men del Condado de Sonoma
- Resumen: 25 de Septiembre de 2020 - Reunión con Voluntarios de LandPaths
- Resumen: 12 de Octubre de 2020 - Reunión con Roseland CBI
Upcoming Public Meeting Information and How to Participate Virtually
For a list of upcoming meeting dates and information on how to participate virtually, please visit the City's Virtual Public Participation website.
Community Advisory Board Meeting
Wednesday, November 18, 2020 | 6:00 p.m.
How to Participate
- Zoom link: https://srcity-org.zoom.us/j/9205530206
- Dial-in: 877-853-5257 and enter Webinar ID 920 5530 2063
Other Ways to Make Public Comment:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voicemail: 707-543-3080
Other Ways to Watch
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/cityofsantarosa
- Live-Stream: https://santa-rosa.legistar.com/calendar
- Comcast Channel 28
- AT&T U-Verse Channel 99
City Council's Public Safety Subcommittee Meeting
Monday, November 23, 2020 | 9:00 a.m.
How to Participate
- Zoom link: HTTPS://HTTPS://SRCITY-ORG.ZOOM.US/J/93121539144
- Dial-in: 877-853-5257 and enter Webinar ID 931 2153 9144
Other Ways to Make Public Comment:
- Email: email@example.com
- Voicemail: 707-543-4622
Other Ways to Watch
Watch Replay of Previous Public Meetings
10/29 Open Government Subcommittee Meeting - WATCH REPLAY
10/28 Community Advisory Board Meeting - WATCH REPLAY
9/25 Public Safety Subcommittee Meeting - WATCH REPLAY
9/23 Community Advisory Board Meeting - WATCH REPLAY
8/26 Community Advisory Board Meeting - WATCH REPLAY
8/7 Public Safety Subcommittee Meeting - WATCH REPLAY
City Council Goal Setting Sessions
7/22 Community Advisory Board Meeting (CAB)
The CAB received a presentation on the Community Involvement Strategy of the General Plan Update and provided feedback to the Project Team. The Project Team also received input from the public. The CAB also heard a presentation on the City’s Community Empowerment Plan Implementation Update and provided feedback to staff on the Plan. Members of the public also provided input to staff and Chief Navarro. VIEW MEETING RECORDING
General Plan Update Community Conversations
7/1 Public Safety Subcommittee of the City Council - WATCH REPLAY
6/30 City Council Study Session and Community Input Forum on the Community Empowerment Plan
Staff presented the Community Empowerment Plan to City Council, providing an overview the plan goals, objectives, and timeline so that it may be modified based on public input. Immediately following the presentation, the Council held a Community Forum to provide an opportunity for open dialogue for all citizens of Santa Rosa around public safety policies. WATCH REPLAY
Mayors representing the nine incorporated cities in Sonoma County, along with local law enforcement Chiefs and Congressman Mike Thompson, are holding a joint press conference on Wednesday, June 10, 2020, in Sonoma County. Read on...
The City of Santa Rosa unveiled a proactive plan to address Santa Rosa Police Department (SRPD) policies and practices through a strategic process guided with community input – the Santa Rosa Community Empowerment Plan. Read on...
Change Follows Ongoing Input and Discussions Between City, Police, and Community Leaders Read on...