Things You May Need

Alarm Permit

If your business will have a burglary or robbery alarm, then you will need an Alarm Permit.


Santa Rosa Police Department
Technical Services Division
965 Sonoma Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
Phone; 707-543-3616

Estimated Cost

  • $15 annually (As of December 2010)


Encroachment Permit

If you will have a sidewalk cafe, you may need to obtain an Encroachment Permit from the Planning and Economic Development Department.


Planning and Economic Development Department
100 Santa Rosa Avenue
Room 5
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
Phone: 707-543-4611

Estimated Cost

Permit costs vary per the number of inspections needed to complete a project.
  • $80 - Permit Fee
  • 5% of public improvement construction cost for plan checking
  • 7% of public improvement construction cost for inspection services
Note: Applicants with Planning and Economic Development approved improvement plans pay only the $80 permit fee. Plan check and inspection fees for these projects are collected during the plan approval process.

(As of June 2016, for current info see Fee Schedule (PDF) or contact the department.)


Depending on the scope of the project, one to three weeks is the time frame for issuance of Encroachment Permits during the construction season when the City receives a high volume of applications.

Hazardous Materials/Waste Program

If handling any hazardous materials, generating or treating hazardous waste, storing in above ground or underground storage tanks, or are subject to business plan and/or accidental release program, then you must join this program.


City of Santa Rosa Fire Department
Hazardous Materials Program CUPA
955 Sonoma Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
Phone: 707-543-4108

Estimated Cost

Information about fees such as those for storage of hazardous or combustible materials and annual fire permits can be obtained by calling the Fire Department at 543-3500.


Water/Sewer Demand Fees

Utilities fees include water and wastewater demand fees and inspection fees to pay for the cost of these services. These fees are basic utilities fees. Other fees, such as special area assessments or reimbursement fees may also be applicable. All fees are paid prior to issuance of a building permit.

Water and wastewater demand fees are charged for connection to the water system and sewer system. Non-residential (and irrigation) fees are determined by Water Department staff and based on maximum monthly usage. If the type of non- residential use changes, additional demand fees may be due.


City of Santa Rosa Water Department
Engineering Division
69 Stony Circle
Santa Rosa, CA 95401
707-543-3950 or 707-543-4200

Estimated Cost

Varies. See the Fee Schedule (PDF) or contact department.
Bathroom Faucet

Demand Fees

If the location you've chosen hasn't been used as a restaurant in the past, there may be a demand fee to connect to the City's potable water and sewer system. Be sure to make this determination early in the process and include any potential costs in your business planning.


Credits toward demand fees may be available based upon prior use. It shall be the responsibility of the owner or applicant to provide proof of prior uses. The Water Department keeps a "master file" of applicable credits. However, discussion of these credits is not allowed without the property owner's permission. The property owner also decides whether or not available credits can be used by a tenant/applicant.

Restaurants employing Best Available Technology (BAT) - the most efficient hardware, fixtures, and systems - achieve a lower maximum monthly usage (resulting in lower demand fees).