|DUE TO COVID-19 AND STRICT HEALTH SAFETY GUIDELINES, ALL VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES ARE CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE.|
The Santa Rosa Rural Cemetery is volunteer-operated and maintained. While the Recreation and Parks Department provides specialized assistance and limited funding for maintenance, the continuing care of the cemetery relies on tax-free donations and funds raised by tours, programs and special events. If you too would like to support this historical gem, here are some ways to get involved.
Join a Virtual Community Meeting
Community meetings are currently held the first Wednesday of every month via Zoom at 6pm. To participate in these meetings, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Third Saturday Workdays: Join the Rural Cemetery every third Saturday of the month from 9am-noon for a volunteer work party (work party not hosted in September). Projects include the cemetery beautification efforts such as mowing grass and landscaping projects, painting, repairing borders, restoring plots, and various maintenance work.
- The Rose Brigade: Consider offering a bit of your time to join the Rose Brigade, a small group of volunteer gardeners who care for the Rural Cemetery's extraordinary collection of vintage roses.
- Adopt-a-Plot: Select a specific plot (20 x 20 ft) and sign up to maintain it in good condition by doing necessary weeding, raking, planting (if desired) 3 - 4 times a year.
- Docent: Serve as a docent for various tours, including student tours and Lamplight Tours.
- Acting: Lend your acting talents to a Lamplight Tour in the fall.
- Tombstone Trio: On Tuesday and Thursday mornings, a small group meets for ongoing cemetery maintenance such as weed control, vegetation management, and tombstone repair.
- Memorial and Habitat Garden Volunteers: Meeting every Friday morning at 9:30am to develop and maintain a garden of California native plants which also serves as a memorial garden.
- Preservation Committee: The Santa Rosa Rural Cemetery Preservation Committee meets monthly to discuss items including items such as maintenance procedures, planning special events, fundraisers, goals, preservation efforts, and new tours. Community meetings are currently held the first Wednesday of every month via Zoom at 6pm. To participate in these meetings, please email email@example.com. See their mission statement and objectives below.
Friends of the Rural Cemetery
Individuals can join the "Friends of the Rural Cemetery" at different membership levels, or make one-time contributions to the Rural Cemetery Preservation Fund. Click here for a membership form. To become a member online, visit srcity.PerfectMind.com and click "Donations." Friends and volunteers receive a quarterly newsletter, The Cemeterian.
The Cemeterian Newsletter
If you wish to subscribe or renew your subscription to The Cemeterian quarterly newsletter, the cost is $10 per year. Click here for the form.
Preservation Committee Mission & Objectives
The mission of the Santa Rosa Rural Cemetery Preservation Committee is to preserve, maintain and protect this historic cemetery and to promote community support through educational tours and events and other means that demonstrate our motto, "Where History Comes to Life!"
Our objective is to research burial records and history, to provide tours and programs, update and refine maps, restore tombstones and roads, cultivate heritage roses, and to provide and educate for the care of the California native plants and trees.