Tips for a Severe Storm
- Avoid unnecessary travel and slow down to a speed safe for the conditions.
- Clear leaves from drains and gutters.
- Do not drive into flooded areas. If floodwaters rise around your car, abandon the car and move to higher ground if you can do so safely. You and the vehicle can be quickly swept away.
- Do not walk through moving water. Six inches of moving water can make you fall. If you have to walk in water, walk where the water is not moving.
- Have supplies in the event of an extended power outage (food, batteries, blankets, battery, flashlights, etc).
- If you encounter a flooded roadways, turn around!
- Make sure your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detectors have fresh batteries.
- Never drive over a downed power line.
- Secure loose outdoor objects (holiday decorations, patio furniture, etc).
- Trim trees and branches that could potentially fall on your home.
- Watch for fallen branches and limbs.
- We do not recommend the usage of candles. In the event you opt to use them, do not leave candles unattended.